After cancelling our plans innumerable times, this Maha Shivratri weekend we were determined to go. Even though a few people backed out at the last moment, 6 of us were undaunted and packed our bags and left. We reached Gokarna at 9:30 a.m. on 24th Feb.🌊
|Me, staring into the infinite sea!|
|Crowded route to Om beach.|
Om beach, as one of my friends said- “looks like this beach is made for photography”. Large boulders, unintentionally shaped to perfection by the sea, it has got danger written all over but at the same time, it is the most beautiful thing I have seen since a very long time.😍
|The best sunset I have ever witnessed 😊|
|Butter Garlic Prawns|
|Banoffee Pie 😋|
At around 4p.m. we went on a boat ride. For 300rs per head they showed us 3 beaches. Om,Paradise and Half moon beach. Don’t forget to sit in the corner and touch the water, its an amazing feeling!
|That amazing feeling!😌|
- If you are going to Gokarna on a long weekend, do book your rooms in advance. If you’re visiting Gokarna on a normal weekend, you don’t have to book rooms in advance. You will get rooms easily.
- You will
see many people doing Yoga on the beach. You can join them.
Yoga by the beach.
- You will see many foreigners with bikinis on the beach. Please do not stare at them and make them feel uncomfortable. Remember, as I said before- “Athithi Devo Bhava”.
- Shacks on Kudle beach provide you with many games that you can play on the beach and in the shacks. Frisbee, carom, chess and many more games. You must ask the staff!
are very friendly, you can politely ask them if you can join them in their game
of Frisbee or anything else.
- Don't stick to clichéd shacks like namaste café, try to explore. There is much more to Gokarna cuisine.
- It is good to have a person who speaks Kannada, with you. When I asked the man who took us boating, he said 300rs per head. And when I asked him to reduce it he said- “Since you spoke in Kannada I said 300rs, if someone speaks in Hindi or English I would have said 400 or 450!”
- Beach stuff
like clothes, braids, jewellery is expensive. Do bargain.
Got colorful braids done 😊
- Post sunset, there will be a jamming session by the foreigners. Music, dance and they even set up small stall from where you buy stuff(again, do bargain), speak to them and know more about them.
- Lastly, if you are looking for a Goa like vibe or party destination, Gokarna is not the place for you. Gokarna is only for those who want to take a break from hectic work schedules and relax!